Yield: 5.25 gallons (19.8 L)
In 2012, the American Homebrewers Association and the UK's Craft Brewing Alliance were brainstorming ways the two beer-focused organizations could collaborate. The timing happened to coincide with Big Brew day, and the gears began turning.
The result was a brown ale-themed Big Brew in 2012, with the recipes connecting the classic Northern English style with the hop-forward, Americanized version.
Matthew Hicks, vice chair of the Craft Brewing Alliance, offered his recipe for a Northern English brown he dubbed Ardley Brown Ale. The combination of five specialty malts with the Maris Otter base makes for a malt-forward brown ale, with a touch of hop aroma and bitterness.
- 4.75 lb (2.15 kg) Maris Otter pale ale
- 2.81 lb (1.28 kg) Munich I malt
- 1.18 lb (539 g) amber malt
- 5.0 oz (142 g) wheat malt
- 2.5 oz (71 g) chocolate malt
- 1.5 oz (43 g) roast barley
- 1.0 oz (28 g) E.K. Golding whole hops, 4.7% a.a. (60 min)
- 0.75 oz (21 g) Fuggles pellet hops, 5.7% a.a. (15 min)
- 2.0 oz (57 g) E.K. Golding pellet hops, 4.7% a.a. (knockout)
- 1 tablet Whirlfloc or 0.75 tsp (3 g) Irish moss (15 min)
- 2 pckgs Danstar Nottingham ale yeast
Original Gravity: 1.049
Boil Time: 60 minutes
Mash grains at 150°F (65°C) for 1 hour. Sparge at 168°F (76°C). Bring to a boil. Add hops at specified intervals from end of boil. Chill to 67°F (19°C) and pitch yeast. Secure airlock or blow-off tube. Ferment at 67°F (18°C). Keg at 2.4 volumes CO2 or bottle carbonate with 3.7 oz (105 g) corn sugar.
Ingredients for 5.25 gallons (19.8 L)
- 6.5 lb (2.95 kg) | pale malt extract syrup
- 7.0 oz (198 g) | 80° L Cara Munich malt
- 3.0 oz (85 g) | chocolate malt
- 2.0 oz (57 g) | roast barley
- 1.25 oz (35 g) | E.K. Golding whole hops, 4.7% a.a. (60 min)
- 0.75 oz (21 g) | Fuggles pellet hops, 5.7% a.a. (15 min)
- 2.0 oz (57 g) | E.K. Golding pellet hops, 4.7% a.a. (knockout)
- 1 tablet | Whirlfloc or 0.75 tsp (3 g) Irish moss (15 min)
- 2 pckgs | Danstar Nottingham ale yeast
Steep grains in 2.5 gallons (11.4 L) of water at 160-170°F (71-77°C) for 30 minutes. While removing the grains, rinse with 0.5 gallon of hot water, then add extract, dissolving completely.
Bring to a boil. Add hops at the specified intervals from end of boil.
Chill wort, remove hops and transfer to sanitized fermenter. Add 2-3 gallons (7.6-11.4 L) of pre-boiled and chilled water for a total volume of 5.25 gallons (19.8 L).
Pitch the yeast when wort reaches 67°F (19°C).
Secure airlock or blow-off tube.
Ferment at 67°F (19°C).
Keg at 2.4 volumes of CO2 or bottle carbonate with 3.7 oz (105 g) corn sugar.
Join for Less Than a Pint
Subscribe for only $3.99/month
Members get discounts on beer, food, and merchandise, plus a subscription to Zymurgy magazine online, and unlimited access to medal-winning and clone recipes for just $3.99 a month.