Yield: 5.5 US gal. (20.8 L)
In celebration of International Women's Day and International Women's Collaboration Brew Day on March 8, this week's featured recipe is by Donna Reuter, a SAAZ (Society of Akron Area Zymurgyists) homebrew club member and AHA Governing Committee member.
Donna's American-style barleywine earned a gold medal in the Strong American Ale category of the 2019 National Homebrew Competition, the largest amateur beer competition in the world.
- 19 lb. (8.62 kg) Maris Otter pale malt
- 1 lb. (454 g) 40*L Crystal malt
- 1 lb. (454 g) dextrose (in boil)
- 8 oz. (227 g) 80*L crystal malt
- 4 oz. (113 g) Special B malt
- 4 oz. (113 g) dextrin malt
- 0.75 oz. (21 g) Cascade pellets, 5.75% a.a., FWH
- 0.75 oz. (21 g) Chinook pellets 12.8% a.a., FWH
- 0.75 oz. (21 g) Centennial pellets, 10% a.a., FWH
- 1.25 oz. (35 g) Cascade pellets, 5.75% a.a. @ 1 min
- 1.25 oz. (35 g) Chinook pellets, 12.8% a.a. @ 1 min
- 1.25 oz. (35 g) Centennial pellets, 10% a.a. @ 1 min
- 1 oz (28 g) Cascade pellets, 5.75% a.a., dry hop 5 days
- 2 oz. (57 g) Chinook pellets, 12.8% a.a., dry hop 5 dys
- 1 oz. (28 g) Centennial pellets, 10% a.a., dry hop 5 days
- De-chlorinated Akron, Ohio, city water with 1 tsp. (4.9 mL) calcium chloride and 1/2 tsp. (2.5 mL) gypsum per batch.
- 1/2 gal. (1.9 L) starter Wyeast 1056 American Ale
Original Gravity: 1.096
Final Gravity: 1.018
Mash at 150°F (66°C) for 90 minutes. Target mash pH of 5.3. Batch or fly sparge for 15 minutes. Boil 90 minutes. chill 30 minutes, with 1-minute hops in the wort, to 60-62°F (16-17°C), then aerate and pitch yeast. Ferment 21 days in primary, then dry hop for 5 days. Keg with 3.5 oz. (99 g) of corn sugar in a simply syrup and allow carbonation to develop over 2 weeks. Crash cool to 30°F (-1°C) and hold 2 weeks, then age until ready to serve.
Substitute 12.25 lb. (5.56 kg) Maris Otter pale malt extract syrup for pale malt. Steep remaining grains at 160*F (71*C) in RO water for 30 minutes. Remove grains, rinse, and dissolve extract completely in the resulting wort, then top off to desired boil volume with more RO water. Proceed as above.
Join for Less Than a Pint
Subscribe for only $4.99/month
Members get discounts on beer, food, and merchandise, plus a subscription to Zymurgy magazine online, and unlimited access to medal-winning and clone recipes for just $4.99 a month.