Brian Thatcher of Kingston, WA, member of the The Impaling Alers, won a gold medal in Category #16: Belgian and French Ale during the 2005 National Homebrew Competition Final Round in Baltimore , MD. Thatcher’s Belgian and French Ale was chosen as the best among 197 final round entries in the category.
To see other winning homebrew recipes from the 2005 National Homebrew Competition, visit our archive of National Homebrew Competition winners.
Brian’s Wit | Belgian and French Ale
- 4.5 lb (2.04 kg) Pilsner malt
- 4.5 lb (2.04 kg) flaked wheat
- 0.5 lb (227 g) flaked oats
- 0.5 lb (227 g) acidulated malt
- 1.0 oz (28 g) Hallertauer whole hops, 3.9% a.a. (90 min.)
- 0.5 oz (14 g) Saaz whole hops (15 min.)
- 0.5 oz (14 g) bitter orange peel (15 min)
- 0.5 oz (14 g) coriander (15 min.)
- Wyeast No. 3944 Belgian Witbier ale yeast (1 qt)
- Original Gravity: 1.052
- Final Gravity: 1.008
- ABV: 5.78%
- Primary fermentation for 19 days at 68° F (20° C).
- Forced CO2 to carbonate.