Ed Vandegrift of Lee’s Summit, MO, member of the ZZ Hops, won a gold medal in Category #7: Amber Hybrid Beer during the 2005 National Homebrew Competition Final Round in Baltimore , MD. Vandegrift’s Amber Hybrid Beer was chosen as the best among 110 final round entries in the category.
To see other winning homebrew recipes from the 2005 National Homebrew Competition, visit our archive of National Homebrew Competition winners.
Ed’s Alt | Amber Hybrid Beer
- 17.0 lb (7.7 kg) Belgian Munich (Ding.) malt
- 0.5 lb (227 g) wheat malt (Briess)
- 0.25 lb (113 g) chocolate malt (Briess)
- 4.5 oz (128 g) Spalt whole hops,
- 4.1% a.a. (75 min.)
- 2.5 oz (71 g) Spalt whole hops,
- 4.1% a.a. (0 min.)
- Wyeast No. 1007 German ale yeast
- Original Gravity: 1.05
- Final Gravity: 1.008
- ABV: 5.51%
- Mash grains at 150° F (66° C) for 90 minutes.
- Primary fermentation for 7 days at 65° F (18° C) in plastic.
- Secondary fermentation for 7 days at 60° F (16° C) in glass.
- Forced CO2 to carbonate.