Sean Kampshoff of Minneapolis, MN, member of the Minnesota Home Brewers Association, won a gold medal in Category #23: Specialty Beerduring the 2014 National Homebrew Competition Final Round in Grand Rapids, MI. Kampshoff’s Specialty Beer was chosen as the best among 463 final round entries in the category.
To see other winning homebrew recipes from the 2014 National Homebrew Competition, visit our archive of National Homebrew Competition winners.
Emily | Specialty Beer
- 31.0 lb (14.06 kg) Maris Otter pale malt
- 3.0 lb (1.36 kg) Simpsons dark (80° L) crystal malt
- 2.0 lb (0.9 kg) 200° L pale chocolate malt (1.13 kg)
- 1.81 lb (821 g) 300° L roast barley
- 1.81 lb (821 g) 500° L roast barley
- 2.0 oz (57 g) Magnum pellets, 14% a.a. (60 min)
- 1 tablet Whirlfloc (15 min)
- 2 capsules Servomyces (15 min)
- 2.0 lb (0.9 kg) lactose (5 min)
- Wyeast 1028 London ale yeast (4L starter)
- Original Gravity: 1.085
- Final Gravity: 1.024
- ABV: 8.01%
- IBU: 47
- SRM: 53
- Mash at 152° F (67° C) and hold for 90 minutes. Use freeze concentration to remove 20 percent water to end up with approximately 10 percent ABV. Make cold press coffee prior to bottling/kegging. Add to bottle or keg at a ratio of 1.25 ml coffee to 1 ounce beer. Ratio can vary based on strength of coffee so dose some samples to determine desired amount.
- Primary Fermentation for 66° F (19° C).
- Forced CO2 to carbonate (2.5 vol).