The following beer recipe is featured in the September/October 2009 issue of Zymurgy magazine. Access this issue along with the archives with Zymurgy Online!
Mark Cherney of Ladera Ranch, CA, member of the Fear No Beer Brewclub, won a gold medal in Category #21: Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer during the 2009 National Homebrew Competition Final Round in Oakland, CA. Cherney’s Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer was chosen as the best among 208 final round entries in the category.
- 10.5 lb (4.76 kg) two row pale malt
- 0.5 lb (227 g) wheat malt
- 0.5 lb (227 g) 75 L crystal malt
- 0.5 lb (227 g) biscuit malt
- 1.0 lb (0.45 kg) dark brown sugar
- 1.0 lb (0.45 kg) Libby’s 100% pumpkin (in mash)
- 5 whole cloves (10 min)
- 3 cinnamon sticks (10 min)
- 3 T. (44 mL) nutmeg (10 min)
- 1.0 oz (28 g) Styrian Goldings pellet hops, 5.4% a.a. (60 min)
- 0.5 oz (14 g) Czech Saaz pellet hops, 3% a.a. (20 min)
- White Labs WLP 565 Saison I ale yeast
Yield: 5 Gallons (18.93 L)
Original Gravity: 1.08
- Mash grains at 153° F (67° C) for 60 minutes. Mash out at 168° F (76° C) for 10 minutes. Add pumpkin at beginning of mash and add spices to boil at 10 minutes from flameout.
- Primary fermentation at 70° F (21° C).
- Forced CO2 to carbonate.
Join for Less Than a Pint
Subscribe for only $4.99/month
Members get discounts on beer, food, and merchandise, plus a subscription to Zymurgy magazine online, and unlimited access to medal-winning and clone recipes for just $4.99 a month.