Odell Brewing Co. of Fort Collins, Colorado makes one tasty IPA, and the 2007 Great American Beer Festival judges agreed when they awarded Odell IPA with a gold medal in the “American-style IPA” category.
Zymurgy magazine associate editor Amahl Turczyn put together this Odell IPA homebrew recipe, which is featured in the July/August 2011 issue. Access this issue of Zymurgy and many more online or from your mobile device.
Odell IPA | India Pale Ale
- 6.0 lb (2.72 kg) Gambrinus ESB malt
- 5.0 lb (2.27 kg) pale malt
- 2.0 lb (0.9 kg) Vienna malt
- 10.0 oz (283 g) Thomas Fawcett Caramalt
- 8.0 oz (227 g) Weyermann Carafoam
- 0.75 oz (21 g) Horizon pellet hops, 13% a.a. (90 min)
- 0.5 oz (14 g) Simcoe pellet hops, 13% a.a. (90 min)
- 1.0 oz (28 g) Columbus whole hops, 15% a.a. (hopback)
- 1.0 oz (28 g) Chinook whole hops, 13% a.a. (hopback)
- 0.5 oz (14 g) Simcoe whole hops, 13% a.a. (dry)
- 0.5 oz (14 g) Horizon whole hops, 13% a.a. (dry)
- 0.5 oz (14 g) Amarillo whole hops, 13% a.a. (dry)
- 0.5 oz (14 g) Centennial whole hops, 13% a.a. (dry)
- Nottingham ale yeast
- Original Gravity: 1.067
- IBU: 47
- SRM: 7
- Boil Time: 90 minutes
- Efficiency: 75%
Mash at 154°F (68°C) for 60 minutes. Mash out at 168°F (76°C) for 10 minutes. Use a hopback at runoff for 1 oz Simcoe and Chinook additions, or steep whole flowers at flameout for 10 minutes. Ferment at 68°F (20°C), then condition in secondary on dry hops at 60°F (16°C) for at least one week.
Substitute 6.7 lb (3 kg) pale malt extract syrup for the pale and most of the ESB malt. Conduct a 60 minute mini mash at 154°F (68°C) with 2 lbs (0.9 kg) ESB malt, 2 lbs (0.9 kg) Vienna malt, and the specialty malts. Please note that the mini-mash version of this beer will be slightly lighter (6 SRM) than the all-grain version.