Gregory Radziewicz, owner of Quirky Homebrew Supply, shares this about his American IPA recipe: "During this unique and challenging time we're asking brewers around the world to be part of the virtual Big Brew celebration! Any beer recipe will work, but as a show of support this basic American IPA recipe consists of ingredients you can easily find at every homebrew store. Look to your favorite local store, choose local products, and support the community we all love!"
- 10 lb. (4.5 kg) base malt (around 1.5-2.5°L)
- 1 lb. (454 g) Munich malt (around 10°L)
- 8 oz. (227 g) crystal malt (40°L)
- 1 oz. (28 g) Columbus hops @ 60 min
- 1 oz. (28 g) Centennial hops @ 20 min
- 1 oz. (28 g) Centennial hops @ 10 min
- 1 oz. (28 g) Cascade hops @ 10 min
- 1 oz. (28 g) Cascade hops @ 0 min
- 2 oz. (56 g) Centennial hops @ dry hop, 5 days
- 1 oz. (28 g) Columbus hops @ dry hop, 5 days
- Lallemand BRY-97 yeast
Yield: 5 gallons (18.9 L)
Original Gravity: 1.06
Final Gravity: 1.015
Single-infusion mash around 153°F (67°C). Conduct a 60-minute boil, following the hop addition schedule as noted in the ingredients.
Partial Mash Option
Substitute 6.6 lb. (3 kg) of liquid malt extract (Golden or Pilsner) in place of the base malt. Steep the Munich and crystal 40°L malt for 15 minutes at 160°F (71°C)
Join for Less Than a Pint
Subscribe for only $4.99/month
Members get discounts on beer, food, and merchandise, plus a subscription to Zymurgy magazine online, and unlimited access to medal-winning and clone recipes for just $4.99 a month.