Yield: 10 gallons (37.85 L)
The following beer recipe is featured in the May/June 2010 issue of Zymurgy magazine. Access this issue along with the archives with Zymurgy Online!
This recipe is featured in "Winners Circle: 2010 Wizard of SAAZ" by Amahl Turczyn in the May/June 2010 issue of Zymurgy magazine. Six issues of Zymurgy magazine are published annually and are included in American Homebrewers Association (AHA) membership. Join the AHA to enjoy Zymurgy and many more member benefits.
Matt Huber wanted something big and hoppy; he definitely achieved that with this Imperial IPA recipe. As the winner of the 2010 Wizard of SAAZ homebrew competition, The Big Hopper has proven taste bud pleasing powers.
- 28.0 lb (12.7 kg) Briess two-row malt
- 3.0 lb (1.36 kg) Briess Victory malt
- 1.0 lb (0.45 kg) 120° L Briess crystal malt
- 3.0 oz (85 g) Centennial pellet hops, 8.8% alpha acid (90 min)
- 3.0 oz (85 g) Simcoe pellet hops, 12.2% alpha acids (90 min)
- 1.0 oz (28 g) Magnum pellet hops, 11.0% alpha acid (60 min)
- 1.0 oz (28 g) Magnum pellet hops, 11.0% alpha acid (30 min)
- 4.0 oz (113 g) Simcoe pellet hops, 11.9% alpha acid (dry)
- 2.0 oz (57 g) Centennial pellet hops, 6.0% alpha acid (dry)
- 2.0 oz (57 g) Liberty pellet hops, 4.3% alpha acid (dry)
- 2.0 tsp Irish moss (15 min)
- 3.0 tsp Gypsum (added to mash)
- Wyeast No. 1056 American ale yeast (1 qt starter)
Original Gravity: 1.082
Final Gravity: 1.017
Primary Fermentation: 6 days Secondary Fermentation: 22 days Mash in with 10.66 gallons (40.35 L) of filtered, unsoftened well water. Mash grains at 152° F (67° C) for 60 minutes. Mash out at 168° F (76° C) for 5 minutes. Sparge with 168° F (76° C) filtered unsoftened well water (adjust sparge water pH to 6.5 before sparging). Recirculate and sparge to produce approximately 13 gallons (49.21 L) of wort. Boil 90 minutes. Chill to 72° F (22° C) and ferment. Dry hop for 7 days in secondary. Chill beer in fermenters to 35° F (2° C) for 24 hours then rack to kegs.
Steep the Victory and Crystal in 158° F (70° C) water for 30 minutes. Rinse grains gently. Substitute 19.6 lbs (8.9 kg) pale LME or 15.7 lbs (7.1 kg) pale DME for the two-row. Bring to boil and proceed with recipe as shown.
Join for Less Than a Pint
Subscribe for only $4.99/month
Members get discounts on beer, food, and merchandise, plus a subscription to Zymurgy magazine online, and unlimited access to medal-winning and clone recipes for just $4.99 a month.