Tyler Cipriani of Longmont, CO, member of the Wichita Homebrewers Organization (WHO), won a gold medal in Category #24: Traditional Mead during the 2014 National Homebrew Competition Final Round in Grand Rapids, MI. Cipriani’s Traditional Mead was chosen as the best among 71 final round entries in the category.
To see other winning homebrew recipes from the 2014 National Homebrew Competition, visit our archive of National Homebrew Competition winners.
Tupelo Mead | Traditional: Sweet Mead
- 26.0 lb (11.79 kg) Tupelo honey
- Diammonium phosphate (DAP)
- 2 packs Lalvin 71B-1122 dry yeast
- 100% RO water
- Original Gravity: 1.15
- Final Gravity: 1.03
- ABV: 15.75%
- Kristen England Even-Speed Mead method (http://www.ahaconference.org/wp-content/uploads/presentations/2008/KrisEngland_NHC.pdf)
- * Day 0: 4.5 g Fermaid K, 2g DAP, Rehydrate 2 packs 71B with 28 g Go-Ferm
- * Days 1, 3, 5, 7, 8: stir
- * Day 2, 4, 6: 4.5g Fermaid K, 2g DAP, Stir
- Primary Fermentation: 14 days at 68° F (20° C)